Monday, October 31, 2011

The Worst First Date Ever

We've all had bad dates, right?  If you haven't, you're lying.  But no matter how horrible they are, you have to laugh at them, or you'll probably just go crazy.  I've had, well, I wouldn't say "a lot", of first dates, but I've had enough, that I have a top 5+ list of bad first dates.  I'm actually sure my list of bad first dates outnumbers the list of good first dates. 

#5 - I'm not a girl that requires a 5 star meal, a limo, or even spending money, period, on a first date.  I do require that you put a little bit of effort into things, and, you know...a little romance now and then.  Number 5 starts off with a guy that was originally from California, who asked me out in January.  The original plan for the date was that we meet at a restaurant.  At the last minute, he called to ask if I would come to his place, and he could make dinner for me.  Ok, so this might SOUND like a nice, romantic date.  It's his reasoning that gets this date added to the list.  It was too cold for him to go outside and walk to the restaurant, so it was a much better idea for me to get out in the cold, and walk to his place.  You don't win any chivalry points for making the girl do something that you refuse to do yourself. 

#4 - We actually have a 3 way tie for number 4.  And they're bad for the same reason.  One word:  Parents.  Boys, when you're trying to impress a girl, it's normally not a good idea to include springing the parents on her, especially not on the first date.  If you have any more questions about this, then you should probably lock yourselves in your parents basement, which is where you're probably living anyway.  But the mere fact that we do have a 3 way tie makes me question the guys that I've dated, and brings about one more disturbing trend.  Let's not go any further here, because if we do, I may just get even more depressed about my sad love life.

#3 - Again...lack of effort boys.  I understand if you're going to dinner in a town that you're not overly familiar with.  Before the date, it's not even a bad idea to get recommendations from the girl if she is more familiar with the area.  But showing up, having no clue what you're going to do.  Bad form boys.  And in this particular case, really bad form.  Had no idea what restaurants were available.  Obviously hadn't made a reservation.  Had no idea about the type of food in the restaurant we did choose.  And then we leave the restaurant, and get to the crowded movie theater, and I end up getting the leftovers knocked out of my hand.  Oh, and to top things off, he was the guy that told me everything I wanted to hear at first, so I was really excited to go out with him again.  It wasn't until 3 weeks later he finally informed me that he was a raging Republican (when he originally told me that he was a bleeding heart liberal).  And I only wasted 3 weeks of my life.

#2 - Ok...this ones partially on me.  Partially.  Again...lack of effort for restaurant selection.  And I had been under the impression that we were only getting coffee, so I ate lunch before hand.  Not great qualities to the first date.   But I looked good.  I had on a sweater, and my favorite jeans.  And what happens as we were walking across the street?  I fall on my face.  Rip a huge hole in the knee of my jeans.  And I was mortified.  Needless to say, there wasn't a second date. 

#1 - I could stop with one phrase, and most people would understand why this was the worst date ever.  Pink.  Shirt.  He wore a pink shirt on a first date.  I don't do pink.  I own a few things that are pink.  But on boys...uhm...just no.  And it was pink, pink.  Like, baby pink.  And he had come directly from work...carrying all of his work stuff.   But the horridity didn't stop there.  It kept getting worse from the pink shirt.  Ok, so he did a good job on restaurant selection.  I will give him that.  And the evening started off ok.  We chatted, things were going ok.  And then all of a sudden, the switch flipped.  I realized that I was in the middle of the date where it's like the guy read an article on what NOT to do on a first date...and he did them all.  Ok, so if you have to use the restroom in the middle of a date.  That's fine.  Don't tell me that water really runs through you.  Politics.  Money.  Family.  And specifics about all of the topics.  Oh, and how he went a little crazy when he was traveling through Europe.  At some point, I think he got frustrated with me because I was having such a bad time, I just kind of shut down.  But what do you expect when you're on the worst first date ever.  I will say one thing...one redeeming quality.  He did walk me home.  Not that I really want him to know where I live.  But it was polite.  But I'm glad I've moved from that apartment. 

At least I do have the good humor to look back on all of these evenings, and be able to laugh at them.  Oh my. 

No comments:

Post a Comment