Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Speed Dating 101

It's a good thing I'm an endurance athlete.  Because speed dating is the marathon of first dates.  How many times can I say "I'm training for an Ironman, and it's in 19 days" in one night? 

Backstory:  Earlier this year, I decided to not be "anti-dating" anymore, and right after that, one of my friends (who is married and has 2 kids) found a Groupon for speed dating.  She suggested I give it a try.  So I bought the Groupon.  Not really wanting to go by myself, I finally convinced one of my single friends to go with me.  We decided on a speed dating night for "Fit and Active Professionals."  Perfect!

As soon as we signed up for this speed dating night, I kept wondering if we were going to run into any guys from our triathlon team.  And I was also curious about the other girls that were going to be there.  Not thinking that we would see any of the other girls on our team.  Well...we did.  When I walked in, there were 4 other girls from our team there.  No guys that we recognized. 

So we get the obligatory happy hour specials...because who really wants to go on 20 first dates sober?  And then we get seated.  I, somehow, end up in the back corner, on a low seat that you end up half laying down in.  And there was a short table right in front of the seat, so my stupendously long legs somehow got folded around, and was, to say the least, not the most comfortable position to sit in for over an hour. 

What is there to say about 20+ 4 minute conversations?  They're basically all a blur.  You get the basic introduction...hi...how are you?  There were the standard conversations about what you do, why you chose the fit and active one.  Is this your first time here?  There were a couple of guys who seemed to have a quirky list of questions, like who your celebrity crush is.  I'm not sure how that's an appropriate first date question...but it seemed to be a popular one.  There was the guy who just ran the MCM last Sunday, and claimed to have been at mile 20 2 hours into the race.  Yeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah....I believe that one.  And then some of the most notable dates of the evening were older guys that seemed to be seasoned pros at the speed dating thing.  Let's go from bad to worst.  Bad: Old guy...clearly not fit or active.  Talked about music a lot.  I'm not sure I actually said anything the entire time.  Worse: Old guy, wanted to be unique...so we talked politics.  Worst: Middle aged guy, a little...sad.  He kept talking about how he had had love in the past, and just kept trying to find that again.  And all of the different ways that he had tried to find love again.  I feel bad for the guy, but not something you want to hear on a first date.

So, the long story short is it was an entertaining evening.  I'm glad I did it.  But I'm 99.9% sure that I'll never see or speak to any of those guys ever again. 

No comments:

Post a Comment